Created for the 5 1/2 qt. round French oven
This beef stew is certainly perfect for Christmas, but you’ll enjoy it so much you’ll make it several times throughout the year. It’s a great make-ahead meal, and the Le Creuset oven looks marvelous on the range top and buffet. Serve it with Syrah, Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon or Zinfandel.
The preparation time is only 20 minutes, but the total cooking time is 4 hours. This is a great dish to prepare ahead of time, and the oven will warm up the house while slowly cooking the stew. Enjoy!!
- ¾ pound shallots, peeled and halved lengthwise
- 2½ pounds beef stew meat, cut into 2-inch pieces
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 onions, chopped
- 1 cup chopped celery
- ¼ cup red wine
- 4 cups beef stock
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon dried rosemary
- ⅛ teaspoon dried marjoram
- 3 large potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 4 carrots, peeled and cut into 2-inch slices
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen peas
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Season the beef liberally with the salt and pepper. Heat the oil in the French oven over medium-high heat. Add the beef and cook, stirring as needed, until browned on all sides, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate.
- Discard any excess oil from the pan and return to medium-high heat. Add the onions and celery and cook until soft, about 3 minutes. Add the wine and stir, scraping the bottom and sides with a wooden spoon. Stir in the stock, thyme, rosemary and marjoram. Return the meat and any juices that have collected to the pot. Add the potatoes and carrots, then cover and bake for 3 hours. Stir in the peas and bake for 1 hour. Season to taste with salt and pepper.